According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, 69% of adults between the ages of 35 to 44 have lost at least one tooth. There are several ways to treat tooth loss, and until quite recently, the preferred choice was through the use of dentures, a non-permanent method. Dental implants, a permanent surgical solution, have risen in popularity as they offer several advantages over non-permanent treatments. L-PRF dental therapy can help speed up healing after dental surgery and has may other benefits.
In this article, we’ll address the benefits of L-PRF therapy and why you should consider it if you’re undergoing dental implants or any other dental surgery.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are made from a titanium screw that sits within the jaw, which is then topped with a porcelain cap that is shaped to look like the missing tooth.
Benefits of dental implants include:
- They are a more permanent solution to tooth loss and cast last for life with proper care (dental bridges and dentures only last 5 to 10 years)
- They look natural — implants are designed to mimic your teeth and are undetectable
- They help to prevent bone loss in your jaw
- Having implants inserted does not affect the surrounding teeth
- They enable you to eat all your favorite foods
Dental implants need solid jaw bones to anchor in. Any damage caused by oral disease to teeth, gums, or jaw bone will make implantation much more challenging. Fortunately, there is a treatment, L-PRF therapy, which supports dental implants even when there may be challenges.
What Is L-PRF Therapy?
L-PRF therapy (leukocyte-platelet rich fibrin therapy) uses white blood cells and other factors from the patient’s own blood to produce a state-of-the-art treatment that helps enhance bone regeneration. We take some of your blood and separate out your platelets, leukocytes and other proteins using a centrifuge. The separated mixture is then allowed to form a fibrin clot. The clot is used to help stimulate your body to release growth factors for up to 14 days after treatment. The therapy is minimally invasive, requiring only a blood sample from you to start the process. In addition, it is natural, with no additives, and because it is derived from the patient will not be rejected by the body.
The Benefits of L-PRF Therapy
L-PRF therapy has several benefits, including:
- Reduction of bleeding after oral surgery - this is particularly useful for patients on blood thinners, helping to control and stop bleeding before it becomes problematic.
- Enhancement of bone generation so that implants are anchored firmly (or any damage to the jaw is healed quickly and efficiently).
- Promotion of healing - recovering after dental procedure is quicker using this therapy as it stimulates your body’s immune response to promote healing.
- Speeding up the recovery process by encouraging your immune system to produce growth factors.
How Effective Is L-PRF Therapy?
L-PRF therapy is a highly effective treatment. It can be used in several types of oral maxillofacial surgeries, including:
- Bone defects
- Extraction sockets
- Sine and dental ridge augmentation
- Palatal defects
- Maxillary bone atrophy
It’s easy to produce, derived from the patient and does not carry any risk of rejection or an allergic reaction. It is a simple, natural method to enhance healing. This means recovering after a dental procedure becomes a quicker, more straightforward process and carries less risk to the patient.
Do You Have More Questions About L-PRF Therapy?
Liberty Family Dentistry’s Advanced Professionals have expertise in all aspects of dental treatment, including L-PRF therapy in Bloomington. If you need a dental procedure such as implants and are considering L-PRF therapy, call us today at (812) 732-0748 to discuss your options.
Our well-trained team of caring dental professionals can answer all of your questions, so you can be confident in the outcome of your procedure. See how we can help boost your smile and your confidence!